United knocked out of League Cup by Derby on penalties 0 5869

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – Manchester United crashed out of the League Cup with a defeat on penalties to Championship side Derby County on Tuesday after the third-round tie ended 2-2 in normal time at Old Trafford. With no extra time in this season’s competition, the contest went straight to spot kicks and Frank Lampard’s Derby won 8-7 with Phil Jones’s effort saved by visiting keeper Scott Carson.

United manager Jose Mourinho said he felt his team were in difficulty once the shootout got down to his defenders. “I knew that we were going to be in trouble, with Jones with Eric (Bailly) I knew that we were going to be in trouble then,” he said. “I wanted to bring a team who could really compete. I am so proud of them,” said Lampard, in his first season as a manager. “I am trying to build a group to be successful and nights like this are incredible. To go against world-class players and play that way, it’s right up there,” he added.

Derby had been moments away from winning 2-1 in normal time after United keeper Sergio Romero was sent off in the 67th minute but Marouane Fellaini got a stoppage-time equaliser. United’s rivals and League Cup holders Manchester City had no such trouble as they won 3-0 at Oxford United but top flight Burnley went down 2-1 at third-tier Burton Albion. United had taken the lead against Derby in the third minute with a well-placed shot from Juan Mata after Anthony Martial had burst down the left flank.

However, the visitors drew level in spectacular fashion after 59 minutes with a brilliant bending free-kick from Harry Wilson, the young Welsh winger on loan from Liverpool. Eight minutes later, Romero was dismissed for handling outside the box and Derby grabbed what they thought was the winner when United’s substitute keeper Lee Grant parried a shot from Mason Mount and Jack Marriott nodded in the loose ball. But in the fifth minute of added time, substitute Fellaini headed in a Diogo Dalot cross to force the shootout.

BURNLEY STUNNED

Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus was one of several big names in their lineup and scored after 36 minutes with a header before Riyad Mahrez and Phil Foden wrapped up proceedings late on. Burnley picked up their first league win of the season at the weekend but came crashing to earth at League One Burton.

Goals from the home side’s Liam Boyce and Jamie Allen cancelled out a first-half strike from Burnley’s Kevin Long, and made sure Burton reached the fourth round for the first time. They were joined by fellow third-tier side Blackpool who piled misery on second-tier Queens Park Rangers with a 2-0 win. Fulham’s Cyrus Christie scored with a stunning long-range strike as they ran out 3-1 winners at Millwall, while Andros Townsend grabbed two goals for Crystal Palace as they triumphed 3-0 at former Premier League side West Bromwich Albion. Bournemouth let a two-goal lead slip at home to Blackburn Rovers before Callum Wilson rescued a 3-2 win in stoppage time.

Read more at thestar.com.my/sport/

Spread the news
Previous ArticleNext Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ronaldo ledak gol ke-102 0 7558

Ronaldo ledak gol ke-102

LISBON: Cristiano Ronaldo semakin menghampiri rekod penjaring terbanyak sepanjang zaman ketika juara Eropah, Portugal membelasah Andorra 7-0 dalam saingan persahabatan sebentar tadi.

Bintang Juventus itu masuk dari bangku simpanan untuk meledak jaringan ke-102 gol buat Portugal pada minit ke-85.

Bekas penyerang Iran, Ali Daei memegang rekod dengan 109 gol.

Portugal, yang meneruskan persiapan untuk mempertahankan Kejohanan Eropah tahun depan akan beraksi dalam Liga Negara-Negara berdepan Perancis awal pagi Ahad ini, mudah mengatasi Andorra. – Berita Harian

Spread the news

FAS mungkin tarik diri 0 5210

FAS mungkin tarik diri

PRESIDEN Persatuan Bola Sepak Sarawak (FAS), Datuk Posa Majais menegaskan, pihaknya mungkin akan menarik diri dari terus bersaing dalam kancah Liga Malaysia 2021.

Menurutnya, tindakan demikian terpaksa dilakukan sekiranya masalah kewangan dialami masih tidak menemui jalan penyelesaian.

Bagaimanapun katanya, pihaknya sedar pendekatan dilakukan bakal memberi tempias atau kesan terhadap pasukan yang beraksi dalam kejohanan anjuran Persatuan Bola Sepak Malaysia (FAM) ketika ini.

“Mungkin kami akan menarik diri dari terus bersaing dalam kancah Liga Malaysia 2021 sekiranya masalah kewangan yang dihadapi ketika ini masih gagal menemui jalan penyelesaian serta tiada pihak yang tampil untuk membantu.

“Memang tindakan berbuat demikian memberi tempias kepada pasukan yang berada di bawah naungan kita kelak,” jelas Datuk Posa kepada Suara Sarawak baru-baru ini.

Beliau menegaskan, tindakan menarik diri dilihat sebagai jalan terbaik untuk mengelak musibah tersebut terus berpanjangan.

Musim ini lima pasukan di bawah badan induk berkenaan bersaing dalam liga anjuran FAM iaitu Sarawak United FC (Liga Premier), Sarawak United II Liga M3), Sarawak United III (Piala Presiden), Sarawak United IV (Piala Belia) dan Sarawak United (Liga Futsal FAM).

Justeru jika keputusan menarik diri terpaksa dilakukan maka secara automatik kesemua lima pasukan ini tidak boleh beraksi dalam sebarang kejohanan anjuran FAM.

Dalam pada itu katanya, pihak pengurusan FAS merakam ucapan terima kasih kepada Menteri Belia dan Sukan Negeri Sarawak, Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah dan Menteri Muda Hal Ehwal Korporat dan Unit Komunikasi Awam Sarawak Abdullah Saidol atas sokongan yang diberikan kepada badan induk (FAS) selama – Suara Sarawak

Spread the news